Monday, September 29, 2008

Arturo P. Roda, MD - 85th b-day

"Gaano Ko Ikaw Kamahal" by Ernani Cuenco; arr by Nestor Zamora for String Quartet of Nonoy Alsaybar and Gonzales siblings
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLmBFVJE7x0

Dr Arturo P. Roda singing his own composition on his 85th b-day celebration at Adong's, cor Redlands and Mt. View, Loma Linda, CA., 28 Sept 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2kSIlhxXaM


The music is indelibly printed in my mind. There should be no problem transcribing it. By the way I composed this music around 1947 while I was at Manila Central University College of Medicine, and I also entitled it then, "Come Jesus"; but, the lyrics did not come until I had my tenure at the White Memorial Medical Center in 1974-75. I was very lonely, and would spend my spare time at the Ampitheatre where there was a piano. The security man was a Filipino, ex-boxer, and even when it was time to close the rooms, he would let me stay on. One night I was inspired, and by morning I had all the lyrics written down with hardly any further alteration to this day. I trust that this piece will be an inspiration to others.


Come Jesus And Abide
By Arturo P. Roda, MD

"Come Jesus, and abide",
Breathes out this longing heart.
"Thy presence by my side,
Sweet comfort does impart."

Bid all my strivings cease,
Tho' pressed by trials sore,
The blessings of Thy peace,
O Lord, in me restore.

O Child of God from wand'rings far,
The Savior welcomes thee.
No longer shall life's conflicts mar
Thy joy of being free. Oh,

"Come Jesus and abide"
Breathes now this happy soul
Praise God, He will provide,
My LORD, my ROCK, my ALL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iqhs02pf8e0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_b4BaP4xJg

Look at this Man
Words and music adapted from “Look at the World” by John Rutter
1.
Look at [this man, loving and faithful husband];
[Lolo Turing, he’s my grandma’s little brother.]
[Handsome and smart] so many joys and wonders,
So many miracles along [his] way.

Praise to thee O Lord, for [Doctor Roda];
[Lolo, Uncle, Daddy, b’loved Friend:
[He’s a gift] we share, and [he’s a] blessing,
[Lolo is from] thee.


2.
[Lolo Turing, we praise the Lord and thank him],
[That you have reached the ripe age eighty-five
[You are still sharp
[Full of God’s love and wisdom.
[You are an inspiration to us all:]

Praise to thee, O Lord, for [Doctor Roda
[Lolo, Uncle, Daddy, beloved Friend:
[You’re a gift’ we share, and [you’re a] blessing
[Lolo is from thee.]


3.
Think of [his life, missionary doctor
[In Cebu and in Iligan where he worked.
[Then he came to the U.S.A. and
[Trials came but he proved true to God.]

Praise to thee, O Lord, for [Doctor Roda
[Lolo, Uncle, Daddy, beloved Friend:
[You’re a gift’ we share, and [you’re a] blessing
[Lolo is from thee.]


4.
Ev’ry good gift, all that we need and cherish
Comes from the Lord in tokens of his love;
We are his hands, stewards of all his bounty;
His is the earth, and his the heav’ns above:

Praise to thee, O Lord, all creation,
Give us thankful hearts, that we may see
All the gifts we share, and ev’ry blessing
All things come of thee,
[Lolo is from thee.]

1 comment:

Lito said...

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 1:02 PM, Arturo P Roda wrote:


Cora

I shall work on the music of Come Jesus. The correction in the Lyrics: Breathes now this happy soul


Leon's father - Juan [Demaya] Roda
mother - Zumel (family name, I do not know her first name)

Juan had a first wife (I do not know her name). The older of the
two children was (nana) Victoria. Her oldest daughter was (manang) Juana. The second was a nurse graduate from Chinese General Hospital, Juliana, a very tall woman. The third was Natalia. Her son, Dr.Gabriel Factora was my colleague at Kettering Medical Center for three years. His wife was Dr. Myrna, a Tagala. Victoria's only son was a little guy, Pablo, and the youngest Benita was the smallest. A younger sibling of Victoria was Efren, who migrated to Mindanao. I met him only once. I suspect that the Father Roda from Mindanao was his grandson.

Leon's siblings are (in proper order) Sergio (full brother), married to a Tagala from Cavite, (tiya Candida). Their three daughters, Natividad, a nun, Visitacion, organist for a Catholic congregation, and, Fortunata, also a nun. All are retired.

Continuing: Alvaro, Antonino, Bartolome, Rosario (was a man, died early, never knew him), and Manuela the youngest was very beautiful (the Zumels were very Hispanic). Antonino lived with us for many years. Later Manuela lived with us also in Baesa before her demise, a victim of tuberculosis. Tata Tony warned me of our family curse (tuberculosis).
He observed that our family was short lived. Tata Tony lived to a
ripe old age. Bartolome migrated to the USA before I got to know
him. He visited after the war. I was a medical student then. He gave me an American Expresss check, not for my tuition but to spend for my pleasure. He was a veteran of the war in Europe, the
western front.


Uncle