Sunday, September 15, 2013

Felipe Corcoro, 1903-1933


OBITUARY OF FELIPE CORCORO
By E. N. LUGENBEAL

Felipe Corcoro was born in the year 1903 in the town of Pasuquin, Ilocos Norte, and died July 18, 1933, at the age of thirty years. He was baptized in Delano, California, by Elder O. A. Hall in January, 1927. Shortly after accepting the truth he returned to his native land to give the good news to his relatives and friends. In this he was successful.


Together with Brother Fredo Malapira he canvassed his home town. Their work created an interest which was followed by a tent effort and a good church was raised up. From that time until the present Brother Corcoro has engaged in the colporteur work and a more faithful, consecrated colporteur could not be found. Perhaps no better example of the principles which actuated his life could be given than the last letter which he wrote before his tragic death.

"All my extra credit from the total amount that I am sending will be placed in the Lord's treasury. This should not have been the only amount which I am sending as my help, but one day I was taking a short cut on a bushy road when my trousers were torn so that I was forced to buy new ones here in Kiangan, besides my other incidental expenses.
 “Transportation here is very expensive. But because I love to help the cause of God I am trying again to reach Bontoc by hiking via Banaue. Although I have heard people say that it is a long and very dangerous way, being infested with head-hunters, I just put my whole trust in the Lord and went ahead. I was alone. I heard that a person was strangled along that road recently, his ears were cut off and the murderers rendered a cariao for him.
 “But I know that the Lord will go with me and I know too that you faithful brethren there are praying for me. I express my sincere thanks for your prayers in my behalf. But if
Jesus wants to keep me in the grave, His will be done, but I hope that we shall all meet in heaven. If you cannot receive my remittance report until the institute, (August 13) or if I do not appear during the institute, just count it that the Lord has kept me in the grave.
 "Lastly may the Lord bless you all in your work. Farewell to all.
 "Your brother in Christ,
 "FELIPE."

Brother Corcoro met death as he was walking between Bontoc and Lubuagan at the hands of head-hunters. He leaves to mourn two brothers, Mariano and Justo, and two sisters, Florentina and Concepcion. His loss will be keenly felt, not only by his beloved relatives, but by the entire company of his fellow workers. He blazed the trail into new and untried regions. Where he has fallen others must take up the banner and carry it on until hundreds of those for whom he gave his life will rejoice in the hope of eternal life.

He rests in peace with the promise,

"Be thou faithful unto death and I will give thee a crown of life."
 In the midst of our sorrow we rejoice in the glad hope of the resurrection.


IN MEMORIAM FELIPE CORCORO
 

Away in the mountains of Northern Luzon,
Our dear Brother Corcoro canvassed alone;
Spreading the light, head-hunters to tame,
He laid down his life for Jesus' dear name.
 

The pages of truth he spread far and near.
And watered the seed with many a tear,
Till at last with his blood he showed forth his love,
Pointing sinners to Jesus and heaven above.
 

The last records show in the home where he stayed,
Before starting his journey, he knelt down and prayed.
Subscribers and friends whose names he secured.
Speak of his life—how their hearts he allured.
 

No funeral was held for this hero of God,
The soldiers that found him turned up the sod ;
Kindly they laid him to rest on the hill,
And searched for the villains who dared so to kill
 

He sleeps on the mountain o'er looking the plain,
Where his books and his papers love's story proclaim.
The angels, are watching that grave far away,
Till Jesus' appearing turns night into day.
 

O Corcoro, our hero, we weep at thy grave.
Our hearts we surrender the heathen to save;
We'll enlist in the army of Bookmen so brave,
And never turn back,—-like thee we'll behave.
 

J. H. McEACHERN


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

According to my dad this guy is my ancestor