Thursday, August 23, 2018

Scheduled Interview with FDG: 31 July 2018 - 10:00 o'clock A.M.

Visiting With Music Alumni, Friends and Family - 3

There's apprehension on the part of some that certain Tabing-Ilog faculty homes may be included in the proposed transaction to sell fifteen (15) hectares of AUP land that abuts the Diezmo River.


Scheduled Interview with FDG: 31 July 2018 - 10:00 o'clock A.M.

I saw FDG in his office twice: the first time was casual, with no prior notice; on my second try, I secured a scheduled appointment through his secretary, aka administrative assistant.  My aim was to engage him in a meaningful conversation regarding items of mutual interest to AUP and me as an alumnus

Though I made no pretense of representing all alumni, I started our conversation by asking him news about AUP that I can share with everyone, i.e. nothing confidential or private.

1.  FDG promised to send me by e-mail, per my request, copies of his November 2017 as well as the upcoming November 2018 State of the University Annual Report to the AUP Board of Trustees and AUP Constituency.

2.  About the proposed sale of AUP land.  Before meeting with FDG, I happen to have spoken briefly with the North Philippine Union Conference president, Pastor Romeo Mangiliman, and I left his office with the assurance that since AUP land is owned by the NPUC, all transactions involving sale or lease of AUP land must be approved by the NPUC Board. To both NPUC and AUP presidents, I reiterated my position, a view that is shared by most if not all alumni I've talked to so far, that selling fifteen (15) hectares of a strip of land abutting the Diezmo River, will be to our school's absolute disadvantage.  Incidentally, I relayed to them the information I gathered from various sources that La Sierra University still keeps the title to all land that was used for housing development.

3.  The requirement of the AUP College of Medicine for a teaching hospital situated on the same campus in order to attain/retain (?) its accreditation status.  Besides an acute care teaching hospital, we agreed it would be well to look at a much larger picture of a holistic program of wellness and health promotion including, among other things, one or more assisted senior living facilities and a retirement village.  If so, AUP will need all the land, possibly even more than it already owns.

4.  A board-approved updated Master Development Plan.  Our conversation revealed that a blueprint copy of the first and original 1975 MDP cannot be found so I suggested contacting either Don C. Van Ornam or the Los Angeles, California-based planning and architectural firm of Daniel, Mann, Johnson, and Mendenhall. Two subsequent master development plans, one in 2005 and another in 2011, were reportedly both board approved as well. Regarding updating all previous MDPs, with an eye on cost-cutting, one option we contemplated was to secure the possible assistance of graduate architecture students of either Walla Walla University or Andrews University.  Financial considerations aside but with an eye on preserving the natural beauty of our campus, one essential step with respect to planning and implementation is to put in place a system of roads, water and power, sewage and drainage connecting the academic hub to the rest of entire property.

5.  Finally, the need for an Advisory Council to function alongside the Board of Trustees.  Off the top of my head, I offered some names to constitute it.  The general idea is to make it representative internationally and non-exclusive; including non-Philippine citizens and as many of those who feel they have a connection with AUP and might have something to contribute in terms of their professional or vocational expertise.






The Current Status of Basic Medical Education in the Philippines
Alfaretta Luisa T. Reyes, M.D.,FPSECP



























No comments: